Skip to main content

Raise Your Hand: Identifying Unconscious Bias in Classroom Instruction

A while back, a Facebook memory popped up in my feed from 2011. It read:

At the time, I was teaching Music at a Title I middle school with a population of mostly Latino and mostly poor students. Students at my school did not get to choose their electives classes (this is not common practice in suburb schools) and so I had to be creative with the curriculum in order to engage the students who did not want to sing and had zero interest in pursuing music outside of my class. I designed a series of rotating interdisciplinary units of study so that students who were placed in my classes multiple semesters would get a variety of relevant musical experiences, while also singing in an ensemble. One of those units focused on the music entrepreneur. It is perplexing that when we talk to students about future careers, it is almost always in the context of working for someone else. Of all my students who learned through this unit over multiple years, not one of them had been told they could someday own their own company or be their own boss. 

As part of the unit final assessment, students brainstormed ideas for new music products or services. The students came to consensus on which ideas were the most viable and then placed themselves (with help if needed) into start-ups. Each start-up consisted of a CEO or Co-CEOs (based on whose idea was chosen), a CFO, and one or two Marketing Directors. Students in each specific role were responsible for a section of a larger business plan. The CEO wrote the Executive Summary. The CFO wrote a short financial plan and was responsible for identifying start-up costs. The Marketing Director created a logo for the company and wrote the marketing plan. All members of the team pitched their business idea to “investors” (other teachers, administrators, and I) “Shark Tank” style. The better the pitch, the more likely they were to get an investment offer. And just like the show, if they received an offer (or multiple offers) from the “Sharks”, they had the opportunity to negotiate. 

So when I was asked to do nothing more than get students to write a decent paragraph, it truly felt like a slap in the face. 6th, 7th, and 8th graders can do more than write a paragraph and I had the evidence to prove otherwise. I started to think...what did I do differently that allowed these students to achieve at a higher level in my class but not in others? For me, it started with setting a high bar and genuinely believing that my students were capable of reaching or exceeding it. I also gave them a relevant and engaging task, one where every student had a role and success depended on each of them doing their part. Each student contribution was valuable.

How did my colleagues make the assessment that our mutual students were only capable of writing a paragraph? Are teachers making assumptions based on past performance or on a belief that these students were somehow inherently underperformers?

Dr. Edward Fergus identifies three types of beliefs that contribute to our unconscious bias[1]. Each one of these biased-based beliefs is connected by an unwillingness to examine the school system and/or teaching practices as a cause for achievement gaps. 

Colorblindness: (while often well intentioned) Dismissing or marginalizing cultural and social identities; turning a blind eye to racial inequalities that have led to disparities in achievement; and/or encouraging students of color to adopt ‘colorblindness’ themselves.

Sample Statement: I view each student as an individual. I don’t see their race and I wish my students would see everyone as the same like I do.

Deficit Thinking: Blaming the student for their own learning deficits and projecting a superior/inferior hierarchy upon them based on genetics alone. 

Sample Statement: Students of color and their parents just don’t value education and that’s why the student doesn’t achieve academically.
                       
Poverty Disciplining: Blaming poor people for their economic conditions based on a lack of discipline, will, and/or self-control necessary for social mobility.

Sample Statement: If the poor family would only work harder to ‘pull themselves up by their bootstraps’, they could achieve the American Dream like everyone else. 

Tests have shown that people from all backgrounds hold unconscious biases based on various aspects of identity such as gender, class, and race and that people both favor the groups they belong to as well as the “culturally valued group”.[2] We call these beliefs unconscious because we are often unaware that they exist and don’t yet recognize how they impact the decisions we make for students, even when their influence is in direct opposition to our conscious belief systems.

A high-expectancy student receives more positive interaction from teacher-friendly banter, frequent praise, eye contact and communicative responsiveness. Low expectancy students, on the other hand, are often seated further away, given less wait time to answer questions, less informative feedback on their responses, and less positive nonverbal communicative interactions such as leaning forward and using positive head nodding.[3] –Tina Ruybalid

I have seen unconscious bias play out in subtle and overt ways. On one occasion, I was conducting at Equity Audit with a School Leadership Team at an elementary school that, as a system, wholeheartedly embraced multiculturalism yet struggled to identify why academic achievement gaps still existed. During the classroom walk through section of the Audit, I observed a young, enthusiastic teacher checking for understanding by asking open response questions about the lesson she just gave. All 7 of the students called upon were white males, even though white girls and students of color (boys and girls) had their hands raised. Neither the school leaders nor the teacher herself were aware of the unconscious bias and the negative message it sent to the non-white and female students. The way she called upon students was simply not on anyone’s radar as an area of growth. 
To truly transform learning, we must first examine our beliefs as educators and challenge ourselves to recognize the unconscious biases that play out in our instruction.

[1] Fergus, Edward Solving Disproportionality and Achieving Equity: A Leader’s Guide to Using Data to Change Hearts and Minds, Corwin 2017
[2] Fiarmen, Sarah Unconscious Bias: When Good Intentions Aren’t Enough, Educational Leadership, Vol 74 No. 3, November 2016
[3] Ruybalid, Tina Conscious Equity: Managing our Unconscious Student Expectation, School Reform Initiative blog post http://www.schoolreforminitiative.org/blog/conscious-equity-managing-our-unconscious-student-expectations/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story of Persistence: How I Won the Miss Colorado Title Twice

Third grade was the first time my mother realized that I was an outspoken person and perhaps the first time I recognized my own cultural differences.  My family had recently moved to Colorado Springs from New Mexico after my father was relocated by the army.  About halfway during the school year, we were learning about Colorado history and my teacher was telling us about a landmark she called “May-suh Vur-dee” (spelled phonetically).  I interjected with a raised hand to correct her.  “Actually, it’s pronounced Mesa Verde ,” I announced. To which she replied, “No, it’s says right here in the book “may-suh vur-dee”.  Like a good student, I refrained from any further discussion. At the end of the lesson, my teacher asked the class “How has Colorado changed over the years?”  I was the first to raise my hand and I said “They used to call it Mesa Verde, and now they call it Maysuh Vurdee”.   I attended a private college-prep school on a full scholarship. Even then, it was cost prohib

Lessons Learned from the Teacher Strike About Leadership

I am a first year administrator at a large, comprehensive high school in Denver. This week, our teachers went on strike, a strike that lasted 3 full days and ended early in the morning on the 4th day. This was the first strike in 25 years in Denver and came on the heels of the LAUSD strike and several other demonstrations across the country. Approximately 142 of our 145 teachers, nurses, and counselors participated in the strike. A strike is the type of school crisis that has the power to make or break new leaders. I had not yet felt my leadership or my commitment to education tested to such a degree. In the moments following my teachers return to the building, I began to reflect on this experience and what I have learned about leadership through it. Lesson One: A Culture of Predictability My principal made two commitments to the staff at the beginning of the year: to lead with purpose and to create a predictable school year to the extent possible. Clearly defined distributive

Shout Out: What the Spirituals Project Choir Taught Me About Culturally Responsive Education

As a music teacher, we are ingrained to promote a specific kind of “audience etiquette”. In fact, the Colorado state standards explicitly call out audience etiquette at the middle and high school grade levels.  In the past, I was completely comfortable with the definition of audience etiquette as it pertained to silence, polite clapping, staying seated, and paying attention to the performer.   Last Fall, I joined The Spirituals Project Choir at the University of Denver. Our mission, in part, is to “preserve and revitalize the music and teachings of the sacred songs called Spirituals”.  Being a part of this choir is one of the best things I have done for myself both musically and spiritually.  It is comprised of mostly African American and Caucasian singers. For the first several months, I was the only Hispanic member.   A few months ago, our choir was asked to perform at New Hope Baptist Church as a recipient of the Choir of the Year award.  This was my first experience